Friday, October 31, 2008

Numbers Stations

Two creepy postings in a row, I know, but I thought this was interesting.

I have a shortwave radio but it's not very strong. I listen to it late at night sometimes when I have trouble sleeping. Radio Nederlands comes in pretty clear as does Radio Stockholm. Fortunately the latter has broadcasts in English as well as Swedish. Mostly it's fun just to scan the dial to see what you can find. I find that what I can pick up on my radio varies from night to night. I think the weather can affect which signals come in and which don't.

Apparently there exist such things as Numbers Stations, but I've never been able to find one personally. A Numbers Station is exactly what it sounds like. It's a station signal which consists of nothing more than a voice reading off a series of numbers, sometimes in English, sometimes not. Often there's accompanying music.

What makes Numbers Stations particularly eerie is that there's no official explanation for what they are. The most plausible theory is that they're intelligence communications. The codes could be changed daily and easily accessed by agents via a shortwave receiver. So the whole process is very secure and also fairly practical.

The following is a recording of a Numbers Station taken off shortwave. The voice seems to be that of a little girl and the language is German. The glockenspiel music adds a nice touch of creepiness. I'm not sure what's up with the video component. I think it detracts from the audio, which is creepy enough without the images:

2 comments:

Michael said...

It's a good thing I've been drinking for the past 3 hours or else I'd be crying in the dark.

Speaking of scary, have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9fX9wvE6k

Bryan CastaƱeda said...

I have a shortwave too, and now that I think about it, I don't know where the hell it is. The station I used to listen to was Deutsche Welle (which also broadcast in English).

I also came across the numbers stations and also heard the intelligence explanation. Considering there's been no official explanation, that seems to be pretty good proof that it's some sort of intelligence code.