Friday, October 3, 2008

New Job

Not everyone may know this, but I decided not to return to the school I was working at for the past two years and am now doing Early Intervention, which consists of making home visits and working with children between the ages of 0-3 who have speech, language, and/or feeding problems.

A good deal of the work is educating the parents. I like the age group because they're always happy to see you. They haven't had time yet to develop any guile, unlike jr. high and high school-aged kids.

The work is per-diem too, which is nice, because I get paid per session rather than a flat salary. The more I work, the more I get paid. What a great system. I also like all the autonomy.

There's an awful lot to learn, and I'm still trying to get a handle on many aspects of it. So far it's been the most enjoyable job I've ever had but it's also taken the most amount of work.

5 comments:

Bryan CastaƱeda said...

Sounds awesome. Who knew that more work = more fun?

Why didn't you go back to your old job? What was the tipping point?

John said...

There were a lot of reasons why I didn't go back. Going into too much detail would only turn into a rant. Suffice to say, it ultimately came down to the fact that I tried it and though it wasn't bad I knew there were other things out there that I'd rather do, and thankfully I found one of them.

JenR said...

Feeding problems? What does that have to do with speech pathology?

Tessa said...

How have your sign language skills developed over 2 years...if at all? I'd like to know!

hesed.

John said...

My signing skills aren't so good. I know basic signs for things like "all done", "music", "book", "give me"-- things you'd use when working with 2 year-olds. Put me in front of a deaf adult, or even six year old, who knows sign and I'm hopeless.