Monday, January 12, 2009

My Top Three Favorite Films

I've decided what my three favorite films of all time, at the moment, are. These aren't necessarily what I think are the best movies of all time, but personally, I get an awful lot out of each of these every time I watch them.

In no particular order:


Jungfrukallan (The Virgin Spring): My favorite Bergman film. I love the authentic-looking and feeling medieval setting. I love the struggle between the two sisters. Max Von Sydow is awesome and imposing. I love the contrast between Christianity and Norse paganism. I love the redemptive power in the final minutes that still hits me like a ton of bricks.

Walkabout: Being drawn into this film is almost like experiencing an altered state of consciousness. I love the realtionships that develop between the three characters. The scenery is beautiful but not romanticized in any way. I love how the film asks us how well we can ever really know anyone. I also love the commentary the film makes at the very end about the loss of youth and how nostalgia can alter our perception of things.

Master and Commander: People may be surprised that I've added this one to my list, but I can't tell you how much I absolutely adore this movie. The two lead characters, especially Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany) represent everything that I wish I could be as a man. I love the fact that the characters are English. I love the fact that it, again, is an authentic-feeling period piece. I love the fact that it so immerses you into the world of these men that you feel you've spent time on the H.M.S. Surprise and feel a part of the crew by the end of it.

So that's it for right now. This list is highly subject to change throughout the years.

3 comments:

Bryan CastaƱeda said...

Hmmm...I'll go with Citizen Kane, The Rules of the Game, and Persona.

Just kidding. I'm trying to think of a satisfactory top 3 and I'm not coming up with anything.

Much easier is top TV shows:

1. The Wire
2. The Office (UK)
3. Arrested Development
4. The Simpsons seasons 1-9
5. Mad Men

Bryan CastaƱeda said...

I'll say Clockwork Orange, The Conversation, and Chinatown. All 70s movies that start with "C".

Or how about The Godfather I&II and Goodfellas. All mob movies that start with "G".

Michael said...

I don't remember what the joke was, but Letterman called it "Mander and Commaster" during a Top 10 and Bryan and I lost it.