Saturday, November 15, 2008

Reckoning with Cities, Suburbs, and Small Towns

I’ve had the opportunity to live in all three of these types of places, and in spite of this fact, I can’t clearly say that I prefer one over the others. Each type of place has its own benefits and drawbacks. So much is dependent on the place itself. Sometimes it all depends on my mood on a given day. Thinking about this subject though, I have come to a few conclusions:

1) Suburbs- I find I dislike the idea of suburbs the most, but also tend to find that I can be most comfortable in this type of environment for the longest amount of time. I’m sure it’s because I grew up in one. I basically live in one now. What I don’t like about them is all the driving. I’m also not a big fan of the landscape. I really dislike the way strip malls look and feel, but I use them nonetheless. I like areas with single family homes so long as there are sidewalks and at least some commercial areas within walking distance. I also think parks and public spaces in general greatly improve the feel of suburban neighborhoods.

2) Small towns- The quaint small town is such a romantic idea. Think Bedford Falls. A place where everyone exists as part of a larger community, its citizens essentially all one big extended family. Most small towns though, aren’t really that great. Sinclair Lewis saw them as places where the smart left and the unlucky stayed. Small towns can be kind of boring too. When opportunities are limited, especially economic ones, it takes a toll on the population, especially on young people. The best small towns, in my opinion, are the ones that have just a little more to offer. Either by a) being close to an urban center (some overlap with suburbs, I realize) b) having seasonal population changes (such as a large part-time summer community) or c) having a college, and thus becoming a college town, though I think those often have their own unique set of challenges that accompany them.

3) Cities- Walt Whitman said that city air breathes freer. I think he was right in some ways. Cities offer opportunity and variety, in all sorts of different ways. They also tend to be more expensive, more competitive, more crime-ridden and less comfortable to live in than other places. I have a real fondness for cities but my personality isn’t always compatible with city life. Cities are often exhilarating, but I usually find I’m ready to go home after a while. The best cities to live in, for me anyway, are smaller cities. Places that offer a taste of urban life but don’t go overboard. I’m thinking of places like Pasadena or Northampton. It’s also very important that a small city have a functioning economy. This applies mainly to the Northeast, but there are so many smaller cities that were once prosperous but have now fallen on hard times and are thoroughly unpleasant now. The best example I can think of is a place like Springfield, Massachusetts. It should be a nice place to live, but it’s actually absolutely terrible.

So to recap: Suburbs are good when they have some mixed zoning, sidewalks, and access to public spaces. Small Towns are good when they have part-year residents, a college, or are in close proximity to other unique areas (ie, a big city). Big cities are great to visit, but the best ones to live in are smaller ones that have strong economies.

Again, this all just my own personal opinion.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Good post.

Bryan Castañeda said...

>>A place where everyone exists as part of a larger community, its citizens essentially all one big extended family.

Yeesh, that doesn't appeal to me at all. I like anonymity.

I spent the night in downtown LA recently (at the Sheraton on the corner of Hope and 8th) and the area was surprisingly pleasant. I even walked around the neighborhood on a late Friday night and it didn't feel unsafe at all.

There were a lot of apartment buildings and lofts in the area, but I don't think I could ever feel comfortable. First, parking is atrocious. Second, the traffic around downtown LA is always horrible. It was shitty at 2pm on a Saturday.

Pasadena will do nicely. A first-class suburb/smallish city with all the advantages of LA & environs just a short hop down the 110.