Monday, February 2, 2009

Late Night Talk Shows

I remember watching Johnny Carson before Jay Leno took over in 1992, when I was a junior in high school. What I'd forgotten was that after 1980 Carson only did the show four days a week, and that on Monday nights there was always a guest host. Leno got the replacement job because he was the permanent guest host from 1987 on. I liked Leno when he guest hosted but not once he started doing the show on his own. As for Carson, I never really got him. Must be a generational thing.

I remember Letterman when he was on NBC. I always thought he was much funnier than Carson. The show was pretty exciting and very funny to the little kid version of me. When Letterman moved to CBS he was still better than Leno but I always felt that something was lost in the move. Now Letterman is almost as lame as Leno. He needs to hire some new writers are something. He seems to be going out there every night with no material.

Conan's a funny guy. His show pretty much picked up where Letterman left off. Conan's is the funniest late night show on right now. Even so, it's not that great, but he himself is a pretty consistently funny guy.

Craig Kilborn made me laugh sometimes but I'm not surprised that his show didn't last. Craig Ferguson is funny and seems to be really good at the job. He's better than Kilborn but I'd still rather watch Conan.

Jimmy Kimmel is awful. He never looks right in that suit. His is a clone of every other show. When he was Jimmy the Sports Guy on Kevin and Bean he at least had some personality. I always thought Adam Carolla was the more talented of the two.

Carson Daly deserves to die a horrible death and Jimmy Fallon needs to be publicly executed before he's allowed to take over Late Night. I'm thinking something along the lines of the end scene in "Braveheart." I absolutely cannot stand him.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I agree that Daily is an asshole. Bryan nows how much I hate bad comedy, but Daily is the worst ever.